Bike slukking. Service at KTM or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3THRO

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Hi Guys

What is the story with servicing the 990 at a KTM dealer? How nescesary is it to take it to a dealer? Do they have to plug their fancy ktm machines into my bike or can I take it to my normal mechanice for the 15 000 service?

My 990R started  cutting out near Algeria, when I closed the throttle it still idled but as soon as I try and open up it just sluk sluks. Stopped for 10 min, she then started fine and ran for about 5 km until the same happened.
I let the bike stand for a while so that I could cool off and consider removing the feul pump in almost 40 dec C temp next to the road. I then tilted the bike ove to both sides hoping any dirt would come lose from the filter. That seemed to work and I rode 200km home with no problems.
Is it feul filter? Anyone else experienced the same. I am afraid this will bite me in the middle of nowhere and leave me stranded when I least expect it.

The bike is on 14 300 km now so I have to get her serviced anyway, will have them clean my feul filter or replace it.