Bike Theft Primer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeonS

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Read an interesting piece on Thumper Talk. I personally like the "Personal alarm" idea. For the full piece, including photos, go to
https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6836645#post6836645

Don't let the affirmative shoppers get your bike this Christmas...  They already started witha few cars here in small Stutterheim  :mad::

Bike Theft Primer
Nothing can stop an experienced, well-equipped thief from stealing your bike, so have more than one way to slow them down until you get there. Or, make it so hard to steal your bike that they look for an easier target.

Thieves can cut even large-diameter padlocks in a heart beat, so use locks with steel shrouds to prevent bolt cutters from getting at the shackle. Or, put the padlock in a steel box (see pics below).

Cables are typically more difficult to cut than padlocks and standard chain links, but thieves cut through cables, even large-diameter ones all the time. So, use chains with hex links to make it more difficult for cutters to get a solid bite.

Park your truck or trailer in an area where you and others can keep a watch on them. Back your truck as close to the door of your motel room as possible or back it up to a fence, wall or hedge. If possible, park tailgate to tailgate, and lock both bikes together as a second line of defense. If available, get attendants to park your truck in the valet parking area, securing your truck so they can't get your bike by stealing your truck.

Other suggestions/points:

- Carry license/VIN numbers in your wallet so police can get the word out quickly

- Cover your bike with a tarp, then secure it to the eye-hooks along your truck bed

- Most thieves, and everybody who passes by, completely ignore alarms. Because of this, install an alarm that silently pages you when your bike is touched or moved Then, while he's busy cutting your locks, cut into him with a baseball bat!

Admin note:
Another member read this article, liked it and submitted a complimentary, but separate article. Since they are complimentary, we just added it below:

Written by TT Member: KXcam22

I liked the article "Bike theft primer" and wanted to add a technique I use beyond locks when I have to leave my toys unatended, or while camping in a rowdy area. There are devices called personal alarms, I think intended for joggers and others and costs about $25. Essentially it is a 9v battery powered 140DB siren in a package about the size of a cell phone. The one I have has a plastic pin (like a hand grenade) that, when removed, starts the siren. The siren stays on until the pin is replaced. I attach a long length of fishing line with a clasp at the end to the pin to act as a "trip wire". You can either thread the trip wire through your bikes and stuff, tie it to your tailgate, or use is as a perimeter alarm trip wire pegged to the ground with a stake. The alarm unit can be taped to something or with mine I glued a magnet to it. When tripped in the dark the siren is astonishingly loud and debilitating and difficult to reset with the pin, even if you know what to do. For a thief to find and reset it would be next to impossible. I know that friends who have inadvertently tripped it could not. A versatile alarm for $25.00. Hope this helps someone keep their stuff. Cam.