bike (xt66r) died on my way to the hell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrowfeather

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
after a beatifull and well paced ride from montagu to the hell (gamkas kloof) this weekend, about 35 kms before destination, the bike suddenly dies mid flight......
quickly stripped all I could , replaced spark , check fuel lines , do some quick diagnostic checks..... but nada.....
So.... a race against sunset and on coming stormy wweather , I convince my riding buddy to tow me back towards Prince Albert. next morning start stripping again , checking wires , checking cpu , checking powercommander , checking coil breakage , all seemingly in working order.... about midday give up hope of being the next campsite mechanic champion , so I phone a friend (with a bakkie).....

when I got home immediately clean and start with the stripping.... first thing to come of is the battery to be charged.... and what do I find.... a small 1 mm wire connected to battery earth coming from the power commander loom has come undone at the lug. why did I not see this before??  well the whole business is closed under shrink wrap off course. also what threw me off big time is that the power commander does not need this connection to power up and check itself.
my guess its probably a "virtual earth" as a null point to calculate from.......

anywooo , had one hell of an adventure on the doorstep of the hell..... glad to be home , and even more glad that my faith in the xt has not been tarnished....