BMW 1150 GS - I MUST make the first gear shorter! Please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benswanepoel

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Dear dogs,

Ok, just come back from Sani pass and Lesotho via Biviaanskloof (which by the way has been upgraded and repaired and tamed!), Naude's nek, Zuurplaat etc, etc,  and I always knew it, but now I just have to shorten that damn first gear! I dont care about loosing some top end if thats the compromise, I just want to stop having to slip the clutch like an old lady in a morris, and frigging blasting up the steepest rockiest, rutted roads at silly speed with clenched teeth, white knuckles, eyes locked and staring at some point 500 meters away.

So please, if anyone out there has made the change (I know GS good, GSA better! I agree, but my bank manager doesn't giver a s**t) I looked at the current threads but didn't find any joy.

Basically my main questions are as follows:

1. Can I replace my set with that of a 1100 or 1150ADV
2. Can I simply (ha ha) replace the offending 1st gear, and compensate with a shorter 6th
3. Is there a standard solution to this problem (I cant believe anyone who actually uses their 1150 offroad would not have reached a similar cross road sooner or later)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(Mechanically speaking, I am excellent at working with wood.)