BMW 650 Dakar sidestand lean angle cure..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurer

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
One thing that has always pissed me off about the Dakar is the way it leans when on it's sidestand, it is WAAAAY to far, WTF were BMW thinking when they designed it?
Anyway, this got me to thinking, Peaches battles to lift the Dakar off it's sidestand, how can I cure it? I've seen a few extended sidestands but IMO this is a kark idea.
My way:
Remove all the stuff on the LHS, footpeg and bracket, gearlever, bash plate, and after disconnecting the lambda sensor, remove the front exhaust section/header. DISCONNECT THE ECU AND THE BATTERY AT BOTH POLES.
Remove the sidestand switch and sidestand, if you don't have a centrestand you will battle a bit, BTW, I supply them at a good price, 8) then, using a very thin cutting disc, cut through the weld on the top of the thick section that the sidestand pivits on, you will see there is a section welded around the frame, then the sidestand bracket is welded to this, after cutting through the TOP weld only, using the sidestand as a lever, bend the bracket down slowly until the crack opens up by about 1mm, try the bike for angle, but not so that the bracket bends back.
When you are happy with the angle, (don't go too far, the Dakar tends to straighten up a bit when loaded with luggage, you don't want the bike too straight that it falls the other way) weld the bracket again, paint where you've welded, and re-assemble everything.
Alternatively, bring the bike to me and for a reasonable price I will do the modification for you. 8)
I didn't take any pictures while I did this modification, so don't ask. :biggrin: