BMW down in Die Hel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I recently joined this website having acquired a BMW F800GS (a legendary machine, very sexy in lava orange!) and am curious as to the outcome of a mishap that occured during the BMW rally in Oudtshoorn this past April.

I am a paramedic and I work for a helicopter emergency response and rescue organisation (the SA Red Cross Air Mercy Service) which has a rescue helicopter based in Oudtshoorn. On Saturday of easter weekend (while the town was crawling with BMW's) the heli was dispatched to Die Hel (up in the Swartberg) for a motorcycle accident. They (I myself was off duty) arrived to find a young lady who had come adrift and gone over the edge of the road. She and her bike (also a BMW F800GS) had ended up about 20 - 30m below the road, down a pretty nasty slope. Medics were hoisted down to her and she was medivac'd by stretcher and taken to hospital, her injuries serious but not critical.

The same organisation that performed the rescue was later asked for a quote to go and extract the bike using a cargo sling, the quote was given (about R35 000, cause flying ain't cheap :) and turned down. I would very much like to find out what became of the bike, it was said to have minimal damage and I assume it has since been recovered but if anybody knows who did it and how it was done I'd appreciate an update. :)

(love the website)