BMW G 650 XCHALLENGE whats it like ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blainec

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Hi Guys as you can see by my # of posts I am a newbee to the forum . I have just sold my Gs1200 after having ridden the whole range i.e GS 800 PD , GS 1100 , GS 1150 , GS 1200 for the last 16 years . Yes I know that the majority are going to say are you crazy why do a thing like that .

I guess I am looking for a much lighter bike that I can do a little more technical ridding , but it must still be street legal . I am looking for a bike that I can blast down small paths and generally bugger around on as well as being able to do the trips like the Biaviaans in the southern cape.

I have now ridden the F 800 GS several times on dirt roads and some tough stuff and I really like the bike ,BUT I just cannot come to terms with the price . By the time you have fitted a proper bash guard , hand guards , and some crash bars you are in for 120 K which in my humble opinion the bike is just not worth.

Finally my question , who owns an xchallenge and whats it like ? I have ridden it briefly and really liked the bike , the seat is a bit like an ironing board , and the tank is a little on the small side for adventure touring but I love the height, the suspension and especially the weight.

In fear of allowing my enthusiasm to get the better of me and I go and buy the bike blindly , I would greatly appreciate some views from the forum both positive or negative.

Lastly to put it into some type of financial perspective I can buy a brand new one for R 65 000 whish is less then the new price of a Suzuki DR 650.
Regards
Blainec