BMW GS1200 Final drive issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skootaboy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I own a 2006 GS1200 adventure. At 40 000 km's the bearing in the diff seized. The entire diff 'unit' was replaced at great cost to myself. The new unit has a drain plug for ease of oil change. BMW's response to this isssue was to instruct the dealers to change the oil in the final drive every service. Now the bearing is sealed so I'm not sure how the oil gets into the bearing anyway.
Recently, about 40km's from the Swazi border I felt a fairly violent vibration when accelerating. This got worse and after about 5 km's I stopped. The drive shaft was wacking around inside the swing arm. I eventually  managed to get my bike transported home after much gnashing of teeth.  Now my bike has done 75 000 km's. A new drive shaft cost about R9 000. I also need seals and dust boots. Now we all know that BMW have been making shaft drives since my grandfather was born. Why is it that they haven't got it right? In 5000 km's time my final drive bearing is due to seize (judging by the history of the first incident). I am afraid of venturing far from home now - I don't trust this bike to last! I mean it's not as though I do wheelies and stuff. Is it time to trade it in for a KTM? Anyone else out there have similar issues?