BMW Insurance Experience -

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEEJAY

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So - just over 2 weeks ago on the way to a much anticipated trip to Botswana -  an oke the locals at Steenbokpan refer to as "Brandewyn Brits" decides to turn right, right in front of me with no indicating and the inevitable happens.  Swerved - but hit the driver side door and over I went.
Broken arm  and a few bruises etc - but that is a seperate topic and thanks for all the well wishes.

Got the bike home and doesn't look too bad - no problem starting etc, but all the protection did its thing and was pretty much broken - spots / indicator / almost all the crash bars / screen etc etc.  (will post some pics later)

Baviarian came to collect and a few days later had a quote for just under R120k. (new fuel tank etc etc - anything with a scratch gets replaced - fine) Still forwarded it to my friend Jano and said "ACME must be licking their lips"

So - insurance finally confirms that the bike is a write off yesterday afternoon (Tuesday) - Surprise surprise - but not really given the other threads on the topic.

My problem comes in here:

1)  I amended the retail value for insurance purposes on the 15th of March this year - 4 months and 2 weeks before the date of the accident and insurance comes back and lowers the payout amount by R7,100 saying that it is the retail value on the date of the incident.  Fair enough - but I amended the value to retail recently specifically for that reason and generally only do this with my cars once a year - not every month? Checked online and called Bavarian to ask what a 2010 GSA (new spec) 10,500km on the clock retails for and they confirm around R155k which is in line with the R153k on my policy.  Waiting for the final amounts this afternoon - so going to be interesting to see what comes back.  Do they take whats in the book or what Market is actually retailing the bike for??

2)  I call Bavarian today where the bike is supposed to be to tell them I have been informed that it is a write off and need to collect a couple of things off the bike - Topbox bracket / Adapter for my electric tank bag / my tools in the toolkit etc.  They inform me that the bike was collected on Saturday already and is at ACME!!!!!  :eek: 
I have not signed anything yet in terms of settlement and was only informed (because of my enquiry) 4 days after the bike had already been taken away  WTF!!!!!
Insurance will try and get the items off the bike and have them delivered to Bavarian again. We will see!  :eek7:

Any advice out there?

:mad: