BMW off-road training in KZN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Having some good "maatjies" paid off again yesterday when I was invited to the Open Day to introduce the newly founded St Cathryn?s BMW Off-Road Riding Academy, presented by Roger Scheffer, the St Cathryn?s Instructor. Roger is a pleasant guy who understands a motorcycle in the dust, it was another learning experience in my life to watch him in action.

The facility is located near Greytown, about 150 km from Durban on the road between Pietermaritzburg and Stanger. I took an easy ride up there in the morning and arrived early enough to have a chat with John and Roy whilst setting up their shopping area. John Briscoe of Gear-Up fame has a shop in Umhlanga Rocks selling anything you could ever dream of in terms of biking gear. He used the opportunity of spreading the word a little here too.

Jan010.jpg

The proceedings started by Roger introducing himself and the facility, and he showed a video of the tracks and typical content of a weekend course.

Then it was off to the bikes to do some training. The group was split into 2 and we went through a "crash course" covering some of the skills tought during the 3 day course.

Started with some stationary techniques, like mass distribution and transfer, steering, etc.
Jan013.jpg

Then off to the track and some cones - the zigzag through cones 3m apart.
Jan014.jpg

Figure 8's between the cones - tight turns. Roger expaining how.
Jan015.jpg

Some more zigzagging through some wattle sticks. Wonder why these Adventures draw so much attention?
Jan018.jpg

Emergency braking - to save the tractors and cows and riders when things suddenly need to slow down.
Jan019.jpg

Bit of sand - Mr Peter Marshall in action
Jan022.jpg

The oval track (in the background) is always a highlight - fun time.
Jan024.jpg

The MAMBA is a 1.5 km track with lots of tigth turns and some jumps to practice all you have been taught. Again some fun was had by all.

Jan028.jpg

At least I was not the only one this time.....
Jan031.jpg

The mix of bikes was quite good, Yamaha XT 600 and AT seen here. The ATGATT rules were not so tight on the day, but Roger did mention that proper stuff is compulsory on the courses.
Jan032.jpg

Back at camp we had a debriefing session and then I hit the road home. Some rain along the way, but not too serious.
Jan033.jpg

Roger had a braai set up for the evening, and some even slept over at the venue.

I can recommend this place, the KZN boys now have no excuse for not doing some proper training and the scenery is good enough for riders from other parts of SA to attend as well.

Contact Roger: 082 447 4833 or RizÃ?©l: 084 052 6303, [email protected]