Boots for R2k - a 2008 survey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
I recently finished my second set of boots, with finish, I mean they are klaar, kapoet, fubar. Pom kindly gave me a pair of his old road boots, which after a year has persished from everyday riding, and wearing (although I change into regular clothes at work, but when I see customers I wear riding kit. It involves walking around a lot in my boots.)

I have a budget of 2000ZAR, for some new booties.
Upon spending way too much time on the internet researching the topic (of which the forum has numerous topics about boots) I got to the following finalists.

I will still venture into the touchable feelable retail offerings this weekend, as I believe there are a few other boots out there as well.

So:

In no particular order

The Forma GT Touring Boot:

formabootsgt.jpg

At the moment this is the boot that appeals to me the most. Not too stormtrooper/power rangerish, and apparently waterproof.

â?¢  Full Leather Grain Boot with unique features
â?¢  Gear-pad Protection
â?¢  DRY-TEX Tubular Fabric Lining for wind and waterproof confidence
â?¢  Shin and Ankle Protectors in heavy-duty thermoplastic
â?¢  EVA Padding for comfort
â?¢  Both Velcro and zip closures for the ultimate fit
â?¢  Heavy-duty anti-oil non-slip rubber sole with great 'walkability'!

Still in the Forma Family, The ATV ONE
ATV_ONE.jpg

Fullgrain Leather Upper,Water Resistant,Double Density Anti Slip Sole,Soft Polymer Padding,Gear Protection Plate,Adjustable and Replaceable Buckels,Injection Moulded front plate,Shin and ankle Supports Antishock Midsole,Lightweight,Drytex Lining

Then the slightly more expensive (by a whole gorilla) BMW Santiago

Boots_Santiango.jpg

â?¢  Boots offered in: Black BMW logo on metal clasps
â?¢  Outer material 100% full cowhide with hydrophobic treatment, thickness 2.3-2.5 mm; inserts are 100% Kevlar®
â?¢  Integrated GORE-TEX®-membrane: Permanently wind- and waterproof, excellent breathing capability supports a comfortable climate inside
â?¢  shift lever protection
â?¢  Large gear shift lever protection on the left side, smaller one on the right
â?¢  Soles with an all-round frame and higher heel and toe protection
â?¢  Large shin protectors, pointed towards the front for high demands when touring off-road; Ankle protectors with anatomic shape
â?¢  Heel and toe areas have inside reinforcement
â?¢  Increased lateral stiffness due to specific intermediate rubber sole
â?¢  Reflective and highly abrasion-resistant fabric above the heel
â?¢  Large Velcro® fasteners on the calf and 2 individually adjustable quick-action fasteners with memory effect to make getting in easy and to provide optimal retention inside
â?¢  Removable insole to allow for aeration, drying, and washing

And Finally, the Gearne Cypher.
I thought it worth mentioning, as everyone on the forum with Gearnes seem to really have a woody for themâ?¦.

CYPHERBLK.jpg

It seems that the TCX (formerly oxtar) infinityâ?? have almost doubled in price in a little more than a yearâ??s time, and they are scarce (internetwise)

I will try and get some closure in my quest for the boot for me, but hopefully this post will help some other confused sole (sic) out there..

My name is Underdog and I ride kaalvoetâ?¦.