Botswana the wrong way (92 pics - download beware!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Thursday morning came and I arrived at the dealer to pick up my bike. Both the clutch and master cylinder had been replaced under warranty (due to no parts available in stock they stripped a new bike to fix mine in time :thumbup: :D :D ). Slight problem when I got there, instead of replacing the TKC?s with my Tourances, they fitted brand new ones! To say the least I was :shock: :shock: when presented with the bill! Soon figured out what the problem was, removed the new ones and replace the old ones, fixed! However that screwed up the schedule for the rest of the day, resulting in me arriving late at home the afternoon.

Soon after I arrived the rest left for the gathering point at the Total north of Pretoria. Only 4 bikes this time, and slightly more comfort as the Isuzu and a trailer was going with, transport for the kids (the excuse :D). The fact that I left about 2 hours later than the rest of the group would turn out to be a mistake as I could not find the turnoff to Kolobe Lodge, first night stopover, in the dark, the rest of the party was enjoying themselves on the lapa, sans cellphones, leaving me searching in the dark with no one to talk to. I ended up with probably a litre of petrol left in my tank before they decided to check their phones to see whether I was trying to contact them, resulting in my bike taking a trip on the trailer until we could refuel and offload it again. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: NO PICS! (way to embarrassing) This would turn out to be an omen of how the trip would end as well, although for a different reason.

Kolobe Lodge is the other side of Ellisras just before the Martinsdrift turnoff on the Stockpoort road. We ?camped? on the premises and would recommend it as a stopover without reservations.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

During his conversation with Red & cie after their arrival, he also recommended that we rather use Stockpoort as crossover as the big trucks tend to clog Martinsdrift. According the ladies recollection he said: ?it is 30 km good gravel road and 70 km tar?. Turned out to be the other way around. The gravel portion turned out to be on the Botswana side of the border, first 15 odd k?s was good hard pack with no gravel, this however didn?t last and turned into hard pack with lots of loose gravel and sand with some tricky middelmannetjies, the ladies sweated while I sat frustrated in the car.

6.jpg

Enjoying a break after the gravel.
7.jpg

We then headed for Palapye to stock up on meat and other liquid necessities and headed north to Nata. We camped at Nata Safari Lodge for the evening and headed north to Kasane the next morning.
8.jpg

First proper sight of Botswana elephant.
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

The ladies on the road.
13.jpg

14.jpg

Stop over at Pandamatenga for lunch
15.jpg

On the way to Kasane
16.jpg

Red on arrival @ Toro Lodge
17.jpg

The three ladies
18.jpg

Red on stretcher, suitably protected from the night air chills! :lol: :lol:
19.jpg

The next day we decided to go for a leisurely game drive along the Chobe river front, this turned out to be an excellent decision. These are some of the pics that where taken on the day.
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

While we were pausing for a lunch time snack, an elephant bull ghosted past in the bush about 500 m away. The ladies busy answering the call of nature, thought we were joking when we called out to warn them!
30.jpg

The highlight of the drive would come the afternoon as we sat watching a leopard leisurely clean himself 4 meters away in the shade of a tree.
31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

Each camp site at Toro has a mini ablution block with a kitchen area, with plug point and hot water, in front and a toilet, shower and basin at the back. Having stayed at Chobe Safari Lodge previously (they where fully booked this time) I would recommend Toro as a better option mainly due to the ablution facilities.
41.jpg

And so we headed for the border again, Ngoma and Namibia this time. The day turned out to be hot!
42.jpg

43.jpg

On arrival at Ngoma we could for the first time really appreciate how the water levels had risen.
44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

These are comparative pics of the same area August 2006 and May 2007.
47a.jpg

47.jpg

48a.jpg

48.jpg

On the bridge
49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

And we met up with Millroy and party the other side of Katima in the Caprivi Strip.
52.jpg

On the road to Ngepi
53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

That evening we stopped over at Ngepi camp, just below the Pupa Falls, except that with the high water levels there was no falls only a series of rapids as the water covered them totally. Of all the camps where we stayed, this one was the highlight of the trip. The road in was a fun sandy twee spoor up to where we had to cross the water to reach the site. The last portion of the access road had washed away and a temporary fix, using plastic :shock: sandbags had been put into place (no problem on 4 wheels but nice and slippery when on a bike!) was put into place.
56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

Arrival
60.jpg

My butt?s sore!
61.jpg

We went for a boat ride / fishing trip the next day and just generally enjoyed ourselves. This is one stopover that we will extend in future trips as there is a lot to do in the area with the game reserve (old Buffalo, 32 Bn, just across the river). We could hear the elephants trumpeting and breaking branches during the day. The photos can explain a lot better than I can.
62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

Ruins of Buffalo
81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

After a day of lazing around we headed for the border again the next morning for the shortest ride of the trip to Drotsky?s Cabins just the other side of the border. The rest of the party went fishing again, with no evidence of success although the stories of lost catches abounded!
89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

Sunrise last morning before the trip back started.
92.jpg

As we headed for Maun, Letlakane, Ellisras and home, I realised that I had a toothache starting. By the time we reached Maun it no longer qualified as an ache but was quite painful. Of the trip the next day to Letlakane I don?t remember much other than the fact that I was totally focused on riding the bike and taking pain killers every 2 hours to try and manage the toothache. At Letlakane we found that there were no camp sites and ended up taking 2 x 2 chalets and pitching 2 tents outside after some negotiation. That evening I realised that I was in no condition to complete the trip on the bike, I couldn?t even fit the helmet over my head as my cheek looked like I stuffed a tennis ball inside. So we headed for Molalatau the other side of Ellisras as our last stopover with my bike on the trailer and semi-dosed inside the bakkie.

Suitably anaesthetized I sat watching the Bulls pulverise the Reds that evening. :D :D :D :D

After the requisite visits to a doctor (Sunday after arrival) and the dentist, it turns out that I have not one but two abscesses that developed beneath my bottom molars and will have to visit a dental surgeon in the near future.

Ah well, all?s well that ends well.

As far as lessons learnt goes:
1. Don?t book, it?s a lot cheaper, Ngepi was the only booking we did, it turned out to be close to double the price on site. If you do book contact the site directly don't use an agent. Not even the Internet type!
2. Not booking allows you to be a lot more flexible in adapting to the local circumstances. No one could have predicted the high water levels. Apparently this was also true on the Makgadikgadi, one on the locals strongly recommended that we stay of the pans as it was treacherous.
3. A backup vehicle on a cross border trip is invaluable.
4. Check your teeth, when they go wrong you won?t like the bite!