Bray weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Trompie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
My friend and I went to Bray this past weekend.
Pulled out of Ottosdal Friday morning just after 6 in the morning, up to Mafikeng.
We had a brekkie at the Wimpy, fuelled up, and headed out for the last 40km tar on the Vryburg road to the Vergelee turn off.
I was nervous as hell about the sand, but the nerves settled a bit as I got rythm and a bit more confidence. These dirt roads are not the same as our local roads where we ride. And I never road dirt with luggage...

Fuelled and ready for the weekend

b1.jpg

From here it is about 190km dirt road to Bray, via Vergelee.

b2.jpg

Smoke break... I'm not fond of having my picture taken. Ugly people shouldn't be on photo's

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

Looking for petrol. Apparently the KTM don't have a fuel gauge, and Niel have this unexplained fear of running out of petrol.....

b4a.jpg

b4b.jpg

Arriving in Bray

b5.jpg

Camp set up
We stayed at Tapama Lodge. Gert and Annemarie have a real gem of a lodge here. We will go back for sure, and I'll strongly recommend Tapama to anyone. Saturday night the heavens open up, and Gert offered us a chalet to sleep in. We declined the generous offer.... Whose scared of sleeping in a tent when it's raining?

b6.jpg

They also takes care of this orphan. Niel pitched in when it was feeding time

b6a.jpg

Niel's view after a good night's sleep

b7.jpg

Saturday morning breakfast

b8.jpg

We took a short ride on Saturday, out towards Vostershoop, but turned off, and went back to camp via Terra Firma.

b9.jpg

b10.jpg

The KTM needed motivation to get out

b10a.jpg

b11.jpg

Sand, lots of sand. The sand was hard after the rains, but still not your friend.

b12.jpg

Bray CBD

b13.jpg

When we got back after the days ride, I told Niel to put something under his sidestand. He didn't.
After the rains and heavy wind, he got back to camp after one too many in at the bar, he found his pride and joy lying on it's side.
Here you can see the crash bar and luggage rack impressions in the sand.
 :imaposer:
b14.jpg

On our way back home

b15.jpg

Hitting tar again

b16.jpg

Luckily we had no offs. But we took it real easy.
I silently doubted the "stand up, look up, open up" theory, but now there is absolutely no doubts anymore. It works like a bomb.
At first I struggled to look up, and fixated on the road right in front of me. Had a few moments, and forced myself to look up, and voila!!! Much better!

According to the BM's odo, we did 860km, and according to the KTM, we did 920km for the weekend.
According to my ass, we did 1000 miles....