Breather hose ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hey guys,
I spotted a breather intake extension on Gerhard's bike on my last visit - didn't have time to discuss it (too much to take in!) but tried my hand at a similar mod this weekend after noticing the amount of fynbos seeds and dust that collected on my DNA filter after one short outride - admittedly through somewhat rough terrain.
I obtained a section of vacuum cleaner hose and insulation taped it into the intake nozzle ... then scratched my head as to the best place to route it to. I wanted it high and forward (for the clean air) but not upward facing to keep the worst of the rain out (for now my bike stands outside under a not-very-waterproof tarp). I tried routing it up under the gray panel but couldn't get it very high because there simply isn't space.
The option I finally settled for was to run it behind the front fender all along the oil feeder line that runs to the oil radiator. The end is rougly in front of the radiator but I crimped the bottom of the hose downwards with a cable tie so that it won't be facing upwards.

Some obvious questions:
- how hot does the oil feeder pipe get and will the hose & cable ties survive that?
- will this arrangement impede air intake flow rate and result in loss of power (took it for a spin and couldn't detect any loss!) or cause overheating

Any suggestions/ feedback on this solution?

Thanks!

2012-04-22-308.jpg

2012-04-22-309.jpg