BUYING CHEAP IS BUYING EXPENSIVE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
As we know ist actually a Afrikaans expression that says ; GOEDKOOP KOOP IS DUUR KOOP . And I can attest to this , and have received the T shirt as well ....
What am I on about, you might ask , well let me try to explain . When I was riding my superbike , and we were carving up the corners in Sabie a good set of leathers , boots , gloves and helmet was the kit to have . You were well aware that leathers were hot in summer and cold in winter , but essential for scratching , and made peace with the fact .
Then the transition arrived and a Adventure bike was parked next to the superbike . And a whole new cupboard full of clothing was required , but this clothing needed to tick many more boxes, and starts at a budget price and carries on up the scale to unaffordable.
This adventure wear has to keep you cool when its hot , warm when cold and dry in the rain . that is asking a lot . But then there are options . Jacket and pants with rainliners , want inners , thermal inners , and the list carries on.One treis to make the best choice that also suits the budget , you read reviews , but somehow the product purchased does not tick all the boxes for ones personal preference , In my case any way . and I go out and buy something else , another 'mistake "
Now I have equipment that is basically brand new , used on one trip and my satisfaction is compromised.
When I purchased my 1190 , I owned a SCOTT JACKET ,used this mainly in winter to commute to work , has a very nice winter lining and often boasted that I could wear the jacket with inner and only required a short sleeve shirt underneath . it worked most of the time, We planned our first ride to Sabie , decided I needed adventure pants ,  Black jacket , black pants , settled on a pair of Spirit pants , came with a rain/ thermal liner , venting foe hot weather ,. ticked the boxes and I bought them . Will admit they work sort off .explanation little later .
As my Scott jacket was my daily , i decided we need something more Adventure suited, More homework and Was about to buy a RST jacket when I found a SPIDI H2OUT , with some discount it was a tad cheaper than the RST , so it came home with  me , the Thermal lining was a bit tight but the jacket fitted magic.Found out the outer layer is not waterproof , must have the rainlining fitted to keep dry. Must remember to take lining !
We started planing out tour to Capetown and my Partner needed a jacket, Found her a nice jacket , Orange and black to match the KTM , This was a excuse for me the get a orange jacket as well , matching :) . Bought a LSM airflow jacket with rain and winter linings . Left the linings at home as we were going to Capetown, and its super hot in the Karoo , and the airflow part will work to keep me cool. I also got us ballistic jeans .Found them to be very comfortable , Will keep them !
We did encounter some rain on the trip but it was light and we did not get wet , dried out before it became uncomfortable .
Back home and and somehow still have the itch to upgrade what I had . Read about the new Metalize jackets , Off to RAD, to check it out , not bad , lots of  vents , rain lining , thermal lining , got to get one, Next trip was to Ramsgate over Easter , My new Orange Metalize jacket is the ticket , i am smiling . Easter monday arrives wet , we have to ride home in the rain, the rainlining does a so so job , the outer is not waterproof , My spirit pants in the same boat . rain lining does not keep you dry in pouring rain over a 600 plus kilo trip .
Back to square one . Must get better kit I think to Myself , but good stuff is very expensive , Saw some TOURATECH stuff at close to 50k , that definitely out of the question . I get lucky and buy a KTM powerwear enduro jacket from a client .
Jacket is in very good condition and after a wash its just about brand new  I fit shoulder , elbow and back protector in the pockets reserved :3some: for the purpose , I retrofit my rainliner and thermal from my LSM jacket into this one , and its great .
Jacket fits good , has little wind leaking in and with my lining it does the job , I also spray the jacket with a water repellent . Knowing we are going to do a winter ride we also invest in some thermal base layers for both of us , ( THERMAL RUNNING TOP AND LONG PANTS ) very thin but warm , works a charm under jeans , As well as the Jacket , dont feel like the Michelin man . These are available from Decathlon Stores .
As I am still not 100% satisfied with what I have bought over the last 2.5 years, I keep going into the Stores hoping to find that top quality jacket or pants in the marked down bin , But it seems the popular sizes are seldome in the bargan bin , only the xxs and xxxl end up there , the 34 s very seldom .
So to end my long story i have decided that having all the nearly good as new kit in the cupboard is not helping me and I have to get rid of it , sell on to hopefully fund kit that tick all the boxed for me . I have had a look at some stuff that tickles my fancy . AlPINESTARS DRY STAR , RST ADVENTURE , KTM POWERWEAR
Problem is I need it in orange , and the Alpinestar and Rst does not come in orange , or we both have to upgrage to black  :eek7:

THE LIST

1 ,SPIDI H2OUT ( black & charcoal with liners ) R4000.00
2, METALIZE ADVENTURE JACKET , ( black & orange with liners ) R3250.00
3, LMS ADVENTURE JACKET ( black & orange with liners ) R1000.00
4  SPIRIT EVOLUTION PANTS ( with rain liner , size l/34) R 1000.00
5 REVIT ADVENTURE PANTS (waterproof , with thermal liner  l /34 ) new never worn R1250.00
6 IXS ADVENTURE BOOTS SIZE 11.5  46  FITS  UK 10 ) R1000.00
7 ALPINE STARS ENDURO JACKET ( no padding zip off sleeves ) R1000.00
8 SCOTT JACKET ( black with lining ) R1500.00

JACKETS ARE XL , PANTS L 34 WAIST , all are in new condition , some worn once .