Cape Town and the Western Cape, 12th of January to the 22nd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New York City...Heading to Cape Town & Namibia
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Hey Wild Dogs,

My trip to visit your beautiful country is almost here. I'll be there in less than a week, staying in Llandudno for the first half and Trout Haven, south of Rawsonville for the second half. I've had to scale back my plans a lot from my original idea (https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=39975.0) due to time and budget constraints.

While in Llandudno, I will need to commute to Table View during rush hour (arriving around 9am and leaving around 5pm). Here's a map of my options. If you have any comments on any of these routes, please share! I'll probably try them all, but it'd be good to know what to expect.
capetownrouteabc.jpg

Also, if anyone has any comments on these routes I have mapped out to get to Rawsonville, please let me know...
troutroute123.jpg

Lastly, I plan to visit several places in the townships, including Mzoli's Meat and Eziko's Restaurant and other local eateries that I can find (recommendations appreciated). How is safety in these areas. Am I stupid to go into these places alone with a F800GS and a big fancy camera? Are there any areas that I should absolutely not go? Should I bring my NYC lock to chain the bike up when I park? Any other security tips?

Anyhow, thank you all for the wonderful information I have received so far. I am totally psyched to be coming!
-Rick

PS, If you want to do a ride and get some lunch next Friday or Saturday (15/16th) let me know. I'm not sure what my schedule is yet, but I'd love to meet some of you if possible.