Cederberg ride 19-21 Feb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Friday afternoon at 2pm we decided to hit the road and ride towards the Cederberg Oasis....

Booked in at the DENNEBOS municipal camp resort in Ceres, only to get there late afternoon (after some really great deviations on dirt  :mwink:) - only to be pointed to the sign above the gate - "No Motorcycles" FFS  :mad:  ...... no matter what we said and no matter that they confirmed the fact that we told them we were on bikes when making the booking - they absolutely refused to allow us into the campsite with the bikes and were told that the bikes should be left in the parking area behind the reception building - and we would have to carry our luggage to the campsite on the other side of a dam - AND NO - we could not swim in the dam - even though the pool was out-of-order due to the pump breaking............... FFS (now back at home - did a bit of research and see the ROT is evident from the negative reports - https://www.hellopeter.com/witzenberg-municipality---dennebos-complaint-%5B267633%5D)  One to avoid then!
By the way - the resort was basically empty with workers sitting around doing nothing................ lack of campers was obviously due to the pool being closed!

So off we go to find a last minute B&B and ended up at "The Village" self-catering, but they were full too. The friendly proprietors kindly tried to assist to find another place to stay - but every single place we called was fully booked. As a last resort, the lady told us to call Waldo - at Matroosberg Reserve about 30km outside Ceres. Yes he had place, but they were "Private" camping sites and we could come through and see whether he could squeeze us in!

11km's outside Ceres we turned right and after another stunning 19km ride we turned down right towards the Matroosberg reserve. Thanks God for the Dennebos being so flippen decrepid! What a stunning place to camp - my first time to this area, but well worth it. The "Private" accomodation/camping resort is open and set in a Pine forest, we were told for R60/night we could have one of the private campsites, where we were treated to our own seperate ablution facilities in the form of a 5000litre JoJo watertank! (please excuse the lack of pic - we got there late and gunning it on the road we did not take the time to indulge)

Waldo showed us the campsite on his quad and then promply brought us a whole crate of firewood. This resort chaps is highly recommended, friendly well cared for and an absolute boon for DS bikers! Next time I'm staying longer.............. we missed out on the rock pools and mountain walks!
For more information contact: +27(0)23 312 2282 / 082 453 9841

Set up for the night....

dscf0962x.jpg

Our ablution facilities - ingenious!!

dscf0973t.jpg

Hot water from Gas - lekkerrrrr........

dscf0978.jpg

Packing up..........

dscf0981a.jpg

Dismantled the tent, turning around I spot this little bugger has jumped onto the folded groundsheet............ was he perhaps sleeping underneath?

dscf0968q.jpg

anyone know what he is..........

dscf0972v.jpg

Leaving Matroosberg .................

dscf0988s.jpg

Iwan.......... still sleeping.... or just the glare?  :mwink:

dscf0997m.jpg

leaving the Ceres valley................ Matroosberg on the opposite side......

dscf1007.jpg

dscf1008d.jpg

kyk ma - daaaaar was ons!

dscf1010j.jpg

petrified camel....... perhaps? or just a sign of the landscape and heat ahead!

dscf1013f.jpg

and then............... this little gem appears. Now which self-respecting biker on a dirt road would EVER pass this opportunity over....  ;D

dscf1021h.jpg

dscf1025j.jpg

dscf1032b.jpg

vat nie baie nie ou maat...........

dscf1043.jpg

some boiled eggs for breakfast and a most enjoyable swim later................ the road awaits!

dscf1026t.jpg

dscf1046u.jpg

now here we were - 2 beemers shunting down the dirt road, we get flagged down by an oncoming katoom rider. A Wilddog no doubt - nope - not so but a really nice chap who seems visibly upset and disturbed. He tells us he's on his way home now to sell his bike!  ???  A moerse farking accident he says..... his boet wiped his bike yesterday but is ok he stumbles.... bike not good - HOWEVER - please take care he warns... about 3 km further a GROOT accident  ???  Katoom head-on into a bakkie............ he shakes his head telling us sorry guys - "ek's vreeslik naar - moet by die huis kom...."  :eek:  and he leaves....

Pokkel (Iwan my mate) and I wonder about this chap, see another 2 bikes racing past us after their mate....and now carefully proceed ahead.

Over a rise... we see 3 vehicles and we are flagged down by SAPS...... BAD accident..............!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Our first view of the KTM when we pulled over!

dscf1048.jpg

dscf1050q.jpg

dscf1051n.jpg

dscf1053b.jpg

dscf1056.jpg

I walked back to get some sort of scope and idea as to what happened. Shocked by the state of the bike - even more shocked by the damage to the now written off bakkie  ???

dscf1062a.jpg

It can be assumed that the rider was at fault here...... he was travelling far too fast - estimates of 120 - 140km/hr was discussed. The bakkie driver has apparently been riding this road for 14 years without accident or incident........... he was coming from the direction of the Oasis travelling around 80km/hr - keeping to his side of the road, the bike rider at speed, cut the corner for better line and with no chance of avoiding the bakkie or changing his line, the inevitable happened. The braking line of the bike was evident as well......

The force of the impact, apparently not only knocked the ktm over 20metres back in the direction he was coming from, but flung the rider over the bakkie - his helmet (thank God he was wearing a neck brace) made a massive dent in the roof on his travel.....and he landed about 10m on the other side of the bakkie!

words are not really nescessary to descripe the condition of the bakkie..........

dscf1066l.jpg

dscf1068s.jpg

dscf1074x.jpg

dscf1073b.jpg

landing spot of the rider....

dscf1075d.jpg

The rider survived with concussion (he was slurring and a bit uncomprehensive) and a broken arm................ could have been far worse....... but made me realise we are flesh & bone only and no matter how well we can ride or how experienced we may be, if we do something stupid and irresponsible - there will be consequences!

a bit shaken (not stirred) - we continued, but unfortunately the pictures were less now...

dscf1078.jpg

dscf1079m.jpg

amper daar.......... "false Oasis" ahead  :mwink:

dscf1091l.jpg

dscf1115.jpg

Amazing how quickly one can strip off if you must... in the 43degree heat and berg wind making sure the cold ones were in need of consumption!

dscf1092h.jpg

inside - evidence of the Wilddogs were everywhere... so I had to add mine  :biggrin:

dscf1093h.jpg

Oasis - quiet and serene......................... before..............

dscf1097i.jpg

............ after ..............

dscf1101.jpg

dscf1108.jpg

dscf1091l.jpg

dscf1107a.jpg

Skremonkel that dief'd my bed!    :mwink:

dscf1130c.jpg

lovers quarrel................... ???

dscf1131d.jpg

cool family there LS!!

dscf1133.jpg

Nice pic.........................

dscf1105.jpg

Widdogs doing what they know best....... muching down moerse T-Bone steaks!!!

dscf1145x.jpg

Getting up early morning - no other Dawgs alive yet.......... babbelaas - who knows!!!
Thanks to Gerrit & Chantal for their kindness and hospitality - we'll be back!

dscf1156n.jpg

leaving Oasis - promised the wives we'd be back in Cape Town for lunch..... and the road awaits!

dscf1165a.jpg

now.... I know that early morning rides are the best... but nothing could quite have prepared me for the beauty that we saw on top of the plateau...........here the pics must just try and do justice to the awesomeness of our landscape!

dscf1170.jpg

dscf1167.jpg

dscf1168r.jpg

dscf1171.jpg

dscf1173a.jpg

lets go and chase our shadows!!  :thumleft:

dscf1177v.jpg

dscf1178f.jpg

dscf1183.jpg
v

dscf1184z.jpg

dscf1186f.jpg

Noticed Trailrider's sticker here...... mmmmm   :mwink:

dscf1189m.jpg

dscf1190n.jpg

down Uitkyk Pass............

dscf1192e.jpg

dscf1197.jpg

dscf1200d.jpg

dscf1206e.jpg

Olifants Rivier................ straight for tar.... or................  >:D

dscf1207.jpg

dscf1208g.jpg

dscf1213.jpg

Refreshing breakfast on the top of Piekenierskloof.................

dscf1220m.jpg

Oh goodness, we decided to detour via Velddrift - found a 20km stretch of shortcut......... EN DIE F*****N Sandmonster awaited.......... thank goodness no falls, maar baie "ampers" en seer bene van die paddling!

dscf1224y.jpg

We eventually called home and it was confirmed that the South Easter was blowing at around 45km'hr. We hoofed it via Langebaan and can report that it was the worst, hairiest and baddest farking ride I'd ever done. The wind was blowing us around as if it was a bicycle. Cages rushed past and created vortex's that upset our airflow and threw us all over the road. This was serious stuff and we stopped a few times to calm the nerves and rest. It was a battle all the way and although we were meant to go straight home, we decided at the Melkbos turnoff that Blue Peter NEEDED to be one of our waypoints home!

Check that cloud............. man oh man.. that's one of my pet hates!

beer consumed........ home, shower & sleep! .............  til next time!   :thumleft: