Cheap Noise repairs on 1150 Boxer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneRunner

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
By looking at the new timing chain tensioner available from Motorad I realized the reason for its success were the extra dead length added to the new part. I pulled both timing chain tensioners on my bike and  it showed basically no wear, I then added on top of the spring and under the cap 3 flat washers roughly 3mm on the left side tensionar and on the right side tensioner 8 washers roughly 10mm .
That sorted the engine rattle on start up and noise coming from the engine when it is hot 100%

The next sound that irritated the living crap out of me ... a knocking sound in the area of the gearbox or maybe sounded like a piston slab some times was the right hand throttle body. I pulled the t/body and found slight wear on the butterfly at the cable side which causes a end play on the shaft witch in turn were causing this moer of a noise. I removed the stainless steel cap on the side and replaced the circlip with a small hydraulic "o" ring in the groove, because the "o" ring is thicker than the clip it stops the side play.
After assembly and tuning it turned out to be successful in removing that noise with no side affects,

My 150,000km boxer is running again like a rotary motor and the buet about it is IT BASICLY COST NO MONEY TO FIX !!  ;D

:laughing4: