Cleaning Project F650GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francois marais

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
So I bought my bokkie from my brother.  But it seems like the bike was very dirty when I got it.  And seeing that I don't have a licence to take the bike on the road, I stated cleaning the bike.  But mow I have a few questions.  Where should it be dirty and where should it be clean?

The following areas are a bit of a worry.  

The front sprocket cover.
I took it off to see what was going on in there.  Now as we all should know when the chain turns, it flings some of the oil off the chain.  Problem is my brother used the bike for a fair bit of off road.  The oil mixed with some dirt and when I removed the cover it seemed like a concoction of grease and dirt.  Scary part, the chain started running in that mess.  I hope I did the right thing, but I cleaned it all out.

The rear Shock
Sorry for the terms I am going to use now, but I am not sure of the correct terms to use:
The bracket and shock was full of sandy gunk as well.  I took a bit of Clean Green to try and remove most of the black grease like stuff that was stuck to the mounts and the shock as well.  The spring over the rear shock was also clogged with this grease like substance.  (Real nasty stuff)  I tried cleaning most of this off, but did not get it all off.  I am thinking of taking a WAP high pressure cleaner to this area, but are a bit scared to put of load of high pressure water onto the rear shock. (Forcing water into every space water can go where it should not be sounds like an bad idea.)  I used a small brush to try and scrub this area, but got no luck as the brush clogged up with this black mass of grease and dirt, so tried getting most dirt off with my hands.

Chain assembly at the rear
What a mess.  Cleaned it out with a mild industrial cleaner and a brush.  Also cleaned the chain and re-lubricated the chain with Motorex Off-Road Chain Lube (https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/images/orprod/400/m/mot_12_off_roa_cha_lub.jpg) .  The chain protector was also full of grease and dirt.  Had a tough time getting that clean as the brushes could not get into the chain protector.  I used my hand to remove all the gunk from that as well, but I suspect that I am going to replace that protector with another as I might have been a bit over enthusiastic with the cleaning (think I might have broken the protector).  On the frame there is also a slap protector for the chain.  That was also a mess of grease and dirt.  So tried my best to clean that, but I need to remove the rear wheel to do a better job of cleaning in all the spaces I can't reach.

I will try to load a few picks that I took, and will try to document as much as I can.  

PS:  I am not sure if BMW should have cleaned all these places with a normal service, but man it is hard work.  Only on cleaning this month I might have spent 7 hours of cleaning the Bokkie.  But at least I am learning a lot of taking the bokkie appart and re-assembling her.

In reference to an earlier post
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=81886.0