CLEVER MOVE TO SWOP 650 FOR 800?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikerider

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I had my trusty F650GS for 6 years. I sold it with just short of 73,000 km on the clock. All I had to fix ever, was the steering head bearings and front shock seals once only at 70,000 km. The rest was normal wear and tear items like sprockets, chain and tyres.

I sold the 650 3 weeks ago and at the same time picked up my F800GS with 22,500km on the clock. Since then I have been reading a lot on the site about the 800. When I read about the things that seem to be problematic on the 800 like steering head bearings (early failure), wheel bearings, water pump, fuel pump (did I miss anything?)......... I start getting that feeling I had when I had a Land Rover II TD5 some years ago. Did I buy the “Land Rover” of motor cycles ???. So far I am loving every moment but have this niggling feeling that the honeymoon can at any point come to an abrupt and sudden end. I hope I am wrong and get the same kind of service out of the 800 as what I became used to on the 650  ;).