Clutch Dragging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumperboy

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
Hi guys,

Need some advice from any of the old hands out there. I recently fell victim to using high mileage castrol oil in a 1994 XT 600. Clutch slip appeared almost immediately. I drained all remnants of the oil and cleaned the clutch components thoroughly. all the plates were measured and found well within manufacturer specification. The steel plates are not warped and the friction plates are glazed. The clutch basket dogs are smooth and not pitted or grooved in any way. The clutch was reassembled according to the manual.
I adjusted the Clutch freeplay on the pushrod by turning the adjustment screw until resistance was encountered and then backing it off half a turn. (this was done due to the absence of manufacturers setting marks by the push rod lever). The entire assembly put together again this time with fresh castrol 20W (regular GTX). Clutch cable routing is according to spec and the cable travels freely within its sheath.
Freeplay was set at the lever and i fired her up. Oil pressure is good. Clutch in, select first gear, and  "clunk" dragging clutch.
Tried adjusting cable to max with no affect on dragging.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(LeCap?!