Commuting: Learning from other's mistakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLRBoy

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
In 5 years of commuting on my bike I’ve seen other riders doing some pretty stupid things.
I've also done my fair share of stupid things.

Let’s try and learn from each other's mistakes. A lesson learned from someone else is a lot cheaper and less painfull than learning from your own mistake.

What I’ve seen with my own eyes:
-Super biker shooting off the moment the robot turned green; colliding with turning cars taking the orange gap.
-Scooter Passing on the left at a robot; car door opened in front of him.
-Dude on a 1960's expensive looking race replica bombing it down Main road near Claremont in pouring rain and heavy traffic: the inevitable happened. Didn’t see the crash, only the result.
-Guy on a Busa doing 200km/h down Burnet Str in Hatfield, Pretoria. He didn't live to tell the tale when a car reversed out of a parking.
-Guys not slowing down when lane splitting and approaching a traffic concertina. There are always cars shooting across lanes at that moment.

What I've done:
-Passed on left at robot. Missed opening car door by millimeters
-Slipped on oil at tollgate when putting my foot down (highly embarrassing)
-Connected a pedestrian when lane splitting.
-Fell off when parking on a slope and my down slope foot couldn't touch the ground (beginner mistake, but expensive and embarrassing none the less)
-Shoe laces caught in front sprocket.  Luckily they just broke off. (Wore boots since that day)
-Panicked in a right hand corner and got on the brakes: bike stood up and I drifted into the oncoming lane. Could have died if there were any cars. Won’t make that mistake again.

Post things you’ve seen and done here so that we can learn from each other’s mistakes. I plan on riding my bike for many years to come and that’s only possible if I stay alive.