Comparing bikes - eg KTM640!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
It just eats my balls when comments are made about 640s only doing 50 000km.

Consider this:

A dirt bike like a CRF450, is a lightweight, high performing, high revving piece of great engineering. They are built to be abused and to last a few years in a controlled environment. Valves, pistons, rings, etc need replacing at intervals 6 - 12 months for aggressive, semi competitive riding, and 1 to 2 years as a play bke. These light weight, high strung machines have a designated lifespan and function.

A placid, luxurious, smooth running, comfortable type DS bike (like a GS) are designed to ride all day long and give many years without much attention. Its parts are deigned to last, more than they are deigned to perform. So, great for longevity, but not so great for lightweight nimbleness and mechanical simplicity.

The 640 falls in-between there somewhere, eeking more on the race machine side. Its motor is high performing, revvy and light weight. It produces good responsive power and can be ridden aggressively. It will do this for a couple of years depending on abuse, without spluttering. This means maintenance will eventually come, probably after 40 - 50 000km, but then you replace those key parts and off you go again.

Each machine is designed for a certain purpose and application........

....for the 640, its:
Hit a small piece of tar, to get to that dirt road out of town, then find some foot spoors as shortcuts to your destination, and do this over rough and vaaast terrain, without worrying about fuel range or failure due to the terrain being too harsh on the bike.

:)

Mines got +/-30k now, 2006, no problems.

Yes, it Vibrates like that gift I offered Ama and sounds like a Ou-Toppie with Parkinson’s offering the carguard change in his hand when it runs.

But I can confidently say:

I will through the Karoo, look for the meanest trails as a short cut, and come home via Vilankulos.