Cruising around (RIGHT AROUND!!) South Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R100GS / Kalahari
8)
Departure 27/12/2010
Return 16/01/2011
Departure from Margate main Beach, after a wimpy breakfast!! Of course!!
Mode of transport: BMW R60 (1958)

Does cruising around (RIGHT AROUND!!) South Africa for 16 days sound like something you would like to do? Then I want to invite you to join me at any stage of this epic trip...join in from the start or when I cruise through your region.
Yup, I am heading off to East London, PE,  George, Cape Town, Veldrift, Springbok, Kakamas, Pretoria, Nelspruit and down to Durban and Margate! I will set off from Margate main beach after a breakfast and coffee on 27/12/10 and return on 16/01/11.

Crazy?? Maybe, but I donated a kidney two years ago and want to prove to people out there that one can still get up to crazy, lekker things! And maybe get more people to donate a kidney or become donors!!

I have a back-up car with trailer and a good camera! And of course I have the bike!! What do I need or want? I need company on the road - any one who wants to join me for the whole trip or just a part of it, put up your hand ...or contact me! Especially if you like bike riding or making a video and have a videocamera! Especially if you are mechanically minded!
But having said that, the more the merrier...and the more fun!

Thus far, I will be joined by one chap from George, two from Port Shepstone, and one Guatenger who are going the whole route. Four chaps will tag along from Cape town for a while and one from Upington will help make the long roads shorter! Cool!!

A bit like ‘Forrest Gump’!!

Morne Pretorius from Suzuki in Margate has provided invaluable assistance in prparing the bike for the trip. The first test run last Sunday went as smooth as ever with the bike purring away….ready!! More assistance came from Drikus Reinecke, owner of Pneutech is repairing my old helmet and the leather luggage carry case.

The organ donor foundation has also agreed to set up meetings/stalls at the various places where we stay over! Oh, I love it when a plan starts to come together!

The trip is self funded and thus may involve a bit of camping/ roughing it a bit...staying away from main roads and toll gates etc! So, it will be a cruise on our country roads talking to as many people as possible as we pass through.
Join in ....'all for one, and one for all"
Marius du Preez
Please take a mo to view the FB site : Biking around SA for organ donations

The route around South Africa
27/12/10  Leaving Margate to Port St Johns
28/12/10  Port St Johns to East London
29/12/10 Port Elizabeth via Port Alfred
30/12/10 George via Langkloof R62
31/12/10 Riversdal
1/1/11 Hermanus via Stanford
2/1/11 Gordonsbaai via kus pad
3/1/11 Melkbos strand via kus pad