Custom frame building. How to get started.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustdevil

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
As many of you dogs already know, I have been involved with HPN for quite some time now. Recently it became clear that they are almost exclusively serving a few select customers, mostly German.
This prompted me to take the next step in producing my own frame modifications. I have managed to produce all of the gussets, brackets and mountings necessary for these modifications and although many can be welded to the frame without much fuzz, there are some areas where accurate assembly is required through means of jigs.
Developing these jigs can be very costly and provide a serious challenge if one does not have formal engineering background. I did not let this stop me and have taught myself to use CAD software and have looked at various ideas on the principles of jig building. During this process I discovered the Demmeler modular assembly table or MAT as I call them. This system makes it unnecessary to make use of jigs as the modular clamps, stoppers and spacers are used in a million ways to securely and accurately clamp assemblies to a special table.
I made some inquiries and got some quotations but the price of these tables and especially the tooling is exorbitantly expensive.
Then I discover Certiflat weld tables in the US who is producing a self assembly table which work on the same principles as the Demmeler table and one can even use the same tooling.
With no supplier in SA for these tables and facing the exorbitant cost to get one flown over here I decided to use my newly found CAD skills to produce one of my own.
The final laser cutting have been completed and I am ready to collect the table and start the assembly.
Here is some 3D CAD images illustrating what the table looks like. I will also post some more info on the tooling and exactly how these tables are used.
This is of coarse a dream for any custom frame builder.

Attachments

• The Block MASTER4.2.jpg
    The Block MASTER4.2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 540
  • The Block MASTER3.jpg
    The Block MASTER3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 537
  • The Block MASTER1.jpg
    The Block MASTER1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 547