Dakar Oil Slick - Die kool die sous werd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
I’m waiting for my Dakar (2003 single spark model) to be deported from Botswana to assess extend of damage, and to make up my mind what to do with the machine. Turf it, donate it to some charity, sell it or repair it. (A long term Project Dakar perhaps?)
The bike has done now 160 000km. Prognoses at this stage – The bike start fairly easy, the normal Dakar clunking engine noise while idling, lack in  power, smoking a bit but pissing oil out of the breather pipe,  comparable to the Gulf BP oil leak. Waiting to observe the oil slick on the Sua Pan after the first summer rains. Poor bloody African Bullfrogs, surprise for them this summer. :peepwall:
I assume it could be broken piston rings.  ??? Now my question is, if I went the ‘Project fix Dakar’ way, from the vast collection of knowledge and experience in the WD Community what else can be expected to be repaired, replaced, modified, renewed on the machine, taking in consideration the mileage on the bike.