Damaged rim hub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3oK

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Need some advice please.

About a week ago I bent the outer rim of my 1200 Adventure fron wheel. I then took this TMS in Centurion to get fixed as they assured me that they can do this easily.
When I got the rim back and after fitting it, the brake disc would rub against the caliper when turning the wheel. I then noticed that the bracket right opposite where the rim was bent had been broken of and re-welded on but it was not inline with the other brackets and was now warping the brake disc.

I contacted TMS about this and they said that I should bring it in so they can try and fix it or send it to an engineering company to machine it down. I contacted BMW and they advised against this which I can understand.

I again contacted TMS and explained the situation and asked that they replace the hub that was damaged by them and then got the following response:

In regards to the bike rim that you brought to us for repair. It is very difficult and sometimes impossible to straighten a spoke rim due to the actual structure of the rim.  There is only one method that can be used to TRY and straighten these rims. This is done by warming up the bent part to a high temperature to make the metal mouldable. Then we apply a small hydraulic press. This press need to have an fixed end to anchor on for the press side to press out the dents.  For spoke rims the only area that we can fix the press on is on the hub as the press need to push outwards. Unfortunately on your wheel the damage on the lip was right opposite a weak area on the hub and by using the press to try and fix the dent it caused the hub to get damaged.

I cannot see a way how this could have been prevented  as this area of the hub was weak and could also have been weakened by the impact that caused the dent. This is a risk all our clients take when they send a damage wheel in for repairs.

To make a long story short I NOT willing to supply you with a brand new RIM as per your quotation. However like Voune has said to you via email I am willing to send the rim to get re welded and machined at my expence.

The risk of the possibility of the wheel being damaged was never explained to me or accepted.

Do you think that a weld in that area will be ok?

If not, what are my options with getting TMS to replace the component they broke?