Die HEL en Baviaanskloof (to follow)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janneman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Well here goes  :ricky:

DIE HEL 29/12/2010

PLEASE BARE IN MIND IM A MAN WITH LITTLE WORDS BUT THE PICS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.

Wednesday Morning 29 December 2010, woke up at 5:00 in Boggoms Bay (6km south of Dana Bay) with mist and rain covering the entire area from here to Mossel Bay.

imgp4820n.jpg

Had rain till just before you get over the mountains on your way to oudsthoorn, I tought this was going to be an interesting muddy ride till the sun came out just before Oudsthoorn  :mwink: :ricky:

imgp4823.jpg

Wel having filled up and your friendly Engen Garage in Oudsthoorn, I headed out toward the Cango Caves, even this little road got me all fired up already, spectacular views (unaware with mist and rain to come)

imgp4828.jpg

Wel as soon as you see the Cango caves in the distance to your right on this road, you get this nice little turn off to yourleft with this entising (enthusiastic little bord on the left hand side, whoooooooooooo  :mwink: :mwink: :mwink:

imgp4824d

wel i headed out with a strong yearn in me to find the first glimpse of gravel, I was not kept waiting for too long, as about 10km after the sign  i was greated with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :ricky: :ricky:

imgp4829e.jpg

well from here on i had a blast but the fog soon caught me and i had to slow down as some places i could see more than 20m in front of me.

imgp4831n.jpg

imgp4832.jpg

imgp4833.jpg

imgp4835.jpg

imgp4838j.jpg

Stopped at skelmdraai and then again at the top, couldnt see a thing due to all the fog

imgp4836.jpg

imgp4843.jpg

WELL as soon as i tought this isnt my day i was greated with sunshine and this  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

imgp4845b.jpg

imgp4847.jpg

The first say 3km of this road is (sorry for my french) K#@!!!!!! big boulders and then 4x4 blocking my way.

But after the first bad section its a very very fun road with lots of twisties and tight corners with stretches you can get up to about 100km/h. here are some pics of the road on my way to the steep up and downhill into the hell where i will pick up my story!!!!

imgp4849.jpg

imgp4851y.jpg

imgp4854u.jpg

imgp4856.jpg

imgp4862.jpg

imgp4864h.jpg

imgp4867.jpg

Having reach the top, I now had to stare down and this spectacular road that lay ahead of my with very sharp bends and some loose rocks thanks to the big cars and rocks falling down the face of the mountain.

imgp4868.jpg

imgp4869y.jpg

imgp4870s.jpg

imgp4871r.jpg

imgp4872.jpg

And here I AM  :ricky: :ricky:

imgp4874.jpg

I made it, tough i didnt have permission for the bike, i headed on through to the restaurant and had a couple of cold ones.

imgp4876y.jpg

imgp4878o.jpg

Then i was greated with these  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wel what a bunch of nice guys and they even took a photi of me on my way back through one of the water crossings (too follow a bit further down) non wildogs i think.

imgp4880.jpg

Well now I heade back home, I leave you with a couple of pics of my way back and some spectacular seanory. I want to go back again and again, want a stunning ride  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

imgp4885n.jpg

imgp4887.jpg

imgp4891c.jpg

imgp4893.jpg

imgp4894.jpg

imgp4897.jpg

imgp4904.jpg

imgp4901.jpg

And thanks to the KTM guys

mediacardblackberrypictw.jpg

oh and by the way on my way back my bikes gear indicator on the display unit started acting up. the bike finds gears fine but the inidication on the display sometimes shows second when im in first, blank sometimes and it strugles to show Neutral, this was a problem at times as when i stopped and switched of i had tow wait etc etc for the bike to show neutral before it would start. any ideas????????????  i went through alot of water dust rocks etc etc.

BAVIAANSKLOOF REPORT WITH SKOONPA TO FOLLOW