Difference between the Old African-twin and the 650 Transalp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVB

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Difference between the Old African-twin and the 650 Transalp

Yes I always (who did not?) had a soft spot for the old African twin which got 'legendary status' for reliability (you be the judge of that) and the  over lander for it's time. (Judge that one too)

No need to introduce myself, most who know me also know the fact that I just love my Hondas although I have owned various other bikes as well.

So interesting (again) is that the 650 Transalp never got in SA to the legendary status of the mighty African twin, although the picture looks rather different in Europe.

The Transalp 650 sold good in SA, but not 'as good' and I still get it that people do not take TA650 serious, just like they don't take KLR's serious although these bike were just as popular (still is) for overland adventure riding.

So finally I met a guy who will defen the African twin with all, just like most fanatic BMW and KTM manne do here on the forum.
Question asked: How many kilometers have you done on the African twin - answer: on the first 60 000 and the second had a broken speedo for a while on a long tour but roughly just shy of 100 000km combined.
Have you ever ridden a 650 ALP? - Answer: No but I would love to.
So said enthusiast got on a 650Alp, (not mine) and they swabbed back and forth - And guess what?
An honest answer that read: 'It is lighter, it feels so much the same - 'If I knew back then I would have bought a new one'

So to all the Alp riders from me:' We have just as great and just as reliable Honda's (I think even more reliable because there was actually a couple of known niggles with the AT) and if Honda was still making 'new 650 Alp's I would have bought one - no doubt.

A lot of fuss doing the round of the new African twin, but Honda hit the jackpot with that name years back and I am sure they will sell any 'joke' with that name and it will be a success. However, there is a lot of debate already elsewhere on the forum about the new Twin but to me the African Twin, as well as the ALP is just the real deal with that V-Twin motor.

I would love to know from an expert like Superfoxi what he thinks about my take with regards to the 'old Transalp 650 vs the Old African twin'?
I am sure there are a lot of similarities - engine? It sure looks not much different too me? Also got a 21 inch front wheel, also got the same 'okish suspension for it's time although on the soft side and not all that responsive'

So this is the question I have been sitting with since owning the 650 Alp and it got partially answered: 'Why did the African Twin' make it to be the 'all time hero' if we also have had the lighter but very similar 650 Alp, just as capable and solid.......was the AT really all that better? I doubt