Discrete Pannier bracket/Evil indicator KLR Mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoonless

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
So my my father and I did some bonding over the weekend (not the adhesive type)

I've been wanting a bracket to keep my super-cool Kappa soft panniers from bonding (the adhesive type) to my exhaust!
Yet I dont want some big (to my eye) unsightly bracket joining my passenger footpeg and luggage rack.

I also wanted to mount my panniers further back so that a pillion could more comfortably be accomodated with said super-cool panniers mounted. This however would require the panniers and my indicators to simultaneously occupy the same volume, a physical impossibility - especially if I wanted my indicators to still be visible...

I decided to get aftermarket indicators and mount them so they did not protrude from under the luggage rack, a trip to The Toy Store and a perusal of their wide range resulted in a suitable pair. A trip to the hardware store yielded some lugs (top tip: make sure the lugs can fit through the fastening nut of the indicators!)

So off to my folks place, with the indicators and the panniers. The standard indicators were removed. I decided to mount the indicators vertically to the bottom of the luggage rack. Luckily I had a suitably long allan key bolt to replace the standard hex head ones, the plan was just to use a section of steel tubing to facilitate mounting the indicators as shown.

img1741pl9.jpg

and the back view:  >:D

img1742ef8.jpg

The exhaust/pannier seperation bracket was fabricated using lengths of 10mm flat steel bar, and lovingly bent  :pot: to get the required shape together with some welding and grinding. We managed to find uses for five power tools :)
So then some (the first of two or three planned layers) epoxy matt black sealant and wallah the finished product:

img1743ey3.jpg

img1744px9.jpg

and it keeps the panniers off the exhaust  :thumleft: (although since i didnt take the top box off they
re mounted slightly further forward than they will be for operational use):

img1740dp5.jpg