DIY your own bike, the HPN way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustdevil

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Seen as Michnus moved this to become a thread on its own I should maybe just add a introduction to new guys reading this for the 1st time.

This thread is about HPN and illustrate some of the process of creating one of these monsters on your own.
The initial step is to get in contact with HPN to have them modify your original frame. They will also gladly supply you with all the necessary parts and advice you will need to build one of these bike.

Frame no. 501 started as an HPN project when I was working on a car shoot with a German photographer and his assistant. When kidding with the assistant about taking the frame back to Germany he became very serious about it and insisted that he will take it with him as part of his luggage.
When it arrived with HPN they send me an e-mail to confirm that they have received the frame. One year later as I was getting restless because I am not hearing from HPN and they were not replying to my e-mails I called Gunter Meyer at BMW because he was the only other person I knew of that had any dealings with HPN. All he could tell me was that it took a long time but he could not remember how long.
Weeks later I received an e-mail from HPN wanting to know if they might have lost my sub frame because they don't seem to have it.
Like a fool I thought it was not important to send the sub frame with the rest of the frame and put my project back one more year!
In 2005 after two years I received two frames, frame no. 501 and 540.
At the time I started to work on 540 and 501 was stacked on the shelf and forgotten till August of 2008.
The following is a brief description of how I build this frame into one of the most exceptional bikes that have left its tracks on the surface of this planet.
And if you don't want to believe me, come and borrow the bike for a few hours and find out for yourself.
Lets start with what happened with the frame:
HPN does four things to the frame:-1 it gets straightened
-2 it gets strengthened
-3 mounting points for fairings, tanks, seats oil coolers etc are provided
-4 and most importantly the frame geometry is changed to give these bikes their unique handling and stability.

Attachments

• _MG_4368_3_1_1.JPG
    _MG_4368_3_1_1.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 9,732
  • _MG_4375_4_1_1.JPG
    _MG_4375_4_1_1.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 9,650
  • _MG_4386_5_1_1.JPG
    _MG_4386_5_1_1.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 9,653
  • _MG_4419_6_1_1.JPG
    _MG_4419_6_1_1.JPG