Do KLR tubes really just randomly tear themselves off the valve?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoonless

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
Ok so after 13000km my Kenda 761 rear was no longer useable.

After much forum browsing, web searching and wallet consulting I chose to fit a Dunlop Trailmax. SInce I dont get to ride offroad as much as I would like :(

Anyway the unspecified vendor fitted the tyre for me, reusing my tube (which had behaved itself for some 6000kms) albeit wrapped in an old tube coz the unspecified vendor did not a have a KLR rear-sized super extra heavy duty type tube.

I then rode about 20km and was doing 60kph turning left through the robot on the N1 South Rigel offramp. But my back tyre was suddenly flat and coming up next to me so that I could confirm this visually.

Tyre weld did nothing but ooze out the tyre. I eventually had my bike bakkied to safety and removed the back wheel with the help of Logie. We took the wheel to the unspecified vendor and explained that it was not a puncture because that would imply that the tyre would have to have been penetrated somewhere which clearly was not the case.

Anyway, the tube had detached from the valve leaving only a 2mm rubber frill around it. Is this truely just one of those things, or was there some life threatening incompetence thrown in for free with the tyre by the unspecified vendor?