Don't settle for less.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 0

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Being 2m tall, I've been struggling to get my Dakar ergonomically comfortable since the first day I got on it. The most basic being reshaping the seat and raising the handle bars. I've been warned on this forum and from various other sources that the Dakar handle bars cannot raise more than 35mm due to cable length and that it would be pricey due to the special screws needed for the ABS switch. About a year ago I ended up forking out R1200 for a 35mm riser, another R1700 for a wind screen that would fit over it, and then about R600 for two strips of metal to extend my mirrors to fit under this screen. A 35mm rise was not enough. Regarding the seat, I was always scared of getting back a brick shaped bike with a pleather cushion on it.

I went to Cape Bike Travel in Buitengracht to get a quote on a service. Jorg and his crew not only gave me a undeniably good quote for the 70000km service, but for next to nothing raised my handle bars to 50mm!, had special screws made for the ABS switch, refitted the screen to suit the new height, and sent my seat to be reshaped (whomever their supplier was, great job! Looks just like the R5000 Touratech seat).

The 0 is now happy. Look for the tall guy on a tall Dakar in Cape Town - big smile under that helmet.

Turns out the cables are long enough for the 50mm riser thingy.
So... anyone wanna buy my old 35mm handle bar risers?