don't use silicone on electronic stuff. causes problems with the contacts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-9

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
WARNING ABOUT SILICONE. ever wonder why some lubricants say "silicone free"

There is a reason why some lubricants don't have silicone.

Do not to use silicone spray on electronics.  And from experience my first GSA gave me a few problems with switches not working and Michael James Kuit told me do not to use silicon spay on switches he said the spray caused the contact problem.  So I googled it and sure as nuts.

DO NOT SPRAY SILICON on electronics. it causes bad contacts.  for years i used silicone grease on all my bike wires, but silicone spay causes problems.

“with using silicon spray on electronic gadgets, "Sometimes a poor connection is actually caused by a well meaning person trying to help the problem by using cleaning sprays that contain silicones to make the connections water-repellent.

Why is this harmful? This is because silicone when certain conditions exist, it can combine with metal ions to form high resistive films such as sodium silicate."

AND I would advise against the use of silicon spray near any electronic gadgets.

As far as I know, silicon has the nasty habit of creeping into everything. If it ends up in electrical contacts it can create serious problems. I don't remember the details, but I think it is that for example if the contact material is silver then a very tough oxide is formed on the surface, and acts as an insulator. The contacts will no longer carry electrical current and it is very difficult to get rid of the coating.

WD-40 and Q20 does not contain silicon.