DR 650 - CHAIN HARMONICS / SLAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMBO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR350
I wonder if someone can throw some light on this problem (If it is a problem, and if it needs solving). 

My 08 DR650 chain develops a slight slap at certain revs (I would guess about 4000 RPM) when applying a small amount of throttle.  When applying more throttle, or more revs it seems to smooth out again.  Of course if one throttles off it also smooths out.  The general feel is akin to mild pinking (Pre-ignition), but I am convinced it is not that.  The chain behavior can be seen by looking down, but you can not spend too much time looking at the chain.  The bike is near enough stock, with the exception of a FMF muffler.  It has a set of 14 / 41 525 sprockets and stock chain.  The slap syndrome improved slightly when I discarded the stock 3 bolt / plate securing system in favour of 2 x circlips.  The front sprocked naturally finds its position in the same spot on the counter shaft.  Of course this whole scenerio is only noticable while crusing on tar road.  Off-road it is not noticable.  Any ideas.  Cheers JIMBO.