DRZ owners (and others), avoid Off Road Racing Concepts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieterj

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I was told this was a good place, so decided to have my DRZ serviced there, and my brothers DRZ 440 (much-loved "Jezebel" owned by Sidetrack and few others previously).  The service was great from a friendliness point of view, phone calls with updates, etc.  The standard bike needed a service and brakepads, the other needed a full makeover since it had been standing a while and the carb seemed a bit erratic.

Left the bikes with the guys for a week. Got them back and went for a ride. What a disappointment:
440 not running well at all - misses, dead spot, stalls, etc.  Wheel bearing was replaced and now the rear wheel literally bounces over 80km/h.  Service cost was R4247 including new tyres
400 was fine, but the brakes were really just as good as putting your plakkies on the ground. Some air had been allowed in. On closer inspection also found the rear reservoir had almost no brake fluid in it. Service cost was R1520

Phone calls to them resulted in a response "bring it back and we'll fix it".  This infuriates me because I live in JHB but work in Cape Town, and am only home the odd weekend.  Besides, if you couldn't get it right the first time..................

A week later my boet took the bike for another ride, and eventually had to drop the bike off with them again because somehow the bike had lost all its water.  I picked the bike a week later, and was told they didn't really do anything besides put in some water, because nothing was wrong BUT was charged R375 for the privilege.  Lots of moaning, raised voices, etc., but apparently the boss, who wasn't there at the time, would dock the guys' pay if I didn't pay up :dousing:

Quick test:  Does a service = check the bike out for faults and ensure that all fluids are good, fluid levels are correct, brake pads, brakes, etc  all work and aren't a safety hazzard.  Perhaps even a test ride up to 5th gear.  If not I've had it wrong all these years.  :patch:

Before I get the obvious responses, like being a douche for not taking the bike to Runner or AdventureMX, I just didn't have the time to take them there, although in hindsight...........

A week later I moved the bikes down to Cape Town.  Does anyone know a worthy candidate for DRZ servicing down here??