ELECTRICS: Mysterious "Earthing" Problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewse

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
Hi guys,

I need some of your sage advice please...

There seems to be a "Short" or "bad Earth" somewhere that have the same components in common - they randomly all shut down together.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The Indicator lights(Flashers);  Hazard Lights; Headlights; Tail lights and Horn all erratically switch off at the same time.

The problem seems to be very random, Sometimes when I switch on the ignition all these functions are working but most of the time when the ignition is turned on, they are NOT functioning.
Other times I will just switch something on and all of these will suddenly go off.

I discovered that when I activate the "horn' switch, it sometimes "self-repairs"?  I suspected a bad wire in the handlebar switch cluster and disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled it - to no avail, the problem persists.

I suspect a bad earth in one of the wiring looms (because on the wiring schematic, these components are all common to ONE SPECIFIC LOOM).

I am NO ELECTRICAL EXPERT and need your advice PLEASE !
I need to know 'where' and 'how' to start tracing this fault.

I'm planning to take my 2002 BMW R1150GSA (Heeler Sidecar) on the International DGR (Distinguished Gentleman's Ride) later this month and need to get this problem sorted out.