Emergency braking in a corner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I recently  had the "opportunity" of having to do some hard braking while leaning over in a corner :eek:. Nothing life-threatening, but enough to make me pay attention.

Even with all the collective wisdom on braking, I don't recall any advice on what to do if you have to stop quickly, mid-corner. Normally the brief for cornering is to ensure that you can stop before the vanishing point, or to get your braking done before entering the corner.

However, how many times have you carved your favourite mountain pass - attacking blind corners at speed - because you know what's on the other side? :ricky:

Well, what if, one day, you come face to face with the back of a stationary vehicle (you know those)? Or a cow/baboon/pedestrian? How do you react? Close throttle? Rear brake? Front? Sit up? Pray?

Rear brake sounds like a recipe for a slide-out. In my specific encounter, I froze for a split second :)o), too afraid to touch anything; then I applied front - not too much. It worked, but then I wasn't going at 140 either.

Anyone had similar experiences? Advice?

Remember this is about emergency braking in a corner.