"Engine Cleaner" Which brand is best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixit

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
After seeing the bulk buy of Prepsol, I couldn't help, but start this thread.

I've been using some no name brand engine cleaner for a few years now. Works like a charm. Spray on, leave for 10 min and wash off. Thick dirty black hardned oil disolves in front of your eyes.

So the last time I wanted to buy, my supplier had no stock and suggested I buy some prepsol.
Well, to my disgust it must be one of the worst products I've ever bought. Absolutely useless at disolving oil and just smears the oil around, clogging up my brushes so bad that I cannot even get them clean with parafine or thinners. Just toss them in the bin. WTF!

After telling the rep of my "no name product" about it, he said that Prepsol have had to remove or change one of the main ingridients in their product due to regulation, so not the good product it used to once be. Don't know how true that is?

Since my supplier has now stopped producing my old favourite cleaner, can anyone reccomend a decent cleaner to save me from buying the whole range to find which actually works and which doesn't? Much appreciate  :thumleft: