Engine noise and report on Vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithcorne

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
First, wrt the vibration of the new twin-cam 1200 motor. My 2010 GSA does not vibrate anymore. I did nothing to the engine. I have just over 32000km on the clock now, and the motor is running well. I used to get numbness in my hands and fingers after 50km. My nose itched and my feet tingled after a ride. I felt the vibes from day one at exactly 4400rpm! I complained and BMW responded with their usual "ons bike breek nie" bullshit. I had it serviced at the required km's and received the work that had to be done to the hall sensor. Its running smooth, and the bike is absolutely standard. So to all that is worried, no ill effects! :mwink:

What I have noticed though, is that the...I guess "valve-train", i.e. the cam-chain and all, is making noises. I understand by looking at the engine, that on a bike you are not protected from all the clicks and whines an engine makes because in almost all cases the engine is not covered with any sound deadening material. Now, how does one interpret engine noises? Obviously, the exhaust emits a wonderful sound, but as soon as I open the visor of my lid, I hear a noisy engine. Hope my question makes sense to someone? :scratch: