Epic Stayover in the Baviaans - EC Bash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tengai

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Before I start, My boets bakkie is OUT and he is on his way to Robertson.

We left for Calitzdorp on Thursday and arrived there at 14:00. Met up with GoGirl and had some drinks on the main road.

The rest of the WC Doggs arrived and what a party. Got to know everyone and the bond became strong very quickly.

The next day, we left for the Baviaans and on entering the first stretch it was clear that this would be a trip to remember. On the first dry river crossing, Fourie-Cop lost his way and went off into the bushes. No harm done and big smiles came from that helmet. The rest of the story was already told with nice river crossings and GoGirls unfortunate introduction with a pothole.

Just as we started to get to the difficult side of the mountain, I desided to stop and wait for the bakkie that followed with most of our gear. XXX was there and over a few sigaretts, we got to know eachother a bit better. My boet did not arrive....XXX took the road again to join up with the rest of the WC riders and I waited another 20 min. before I turned around to go and look for my Boet in his bakkie. It was getting late and by that time the light disappeared quickly.

I went past Dooie Klip and the gate that said "KEEP GATE CLOSED DUE TO DANGERIOUS ANIMALS". Just before I got the the Rooi Kloof capsite, here was my boet in the middle of the narrow road, all on his own with the bonnet open. NOT a good site. We managed to get the bakkie into a clearing and it was time to camp, right there. Tent was pitched and out came the OBS and the kettle was filled from a nearby stream for coffee.

The fuese for the Electronic Fuel Injection kept on blowing. Massive short on the wiring. That night we enjoyed the sounds of Baboons very close to our camp and was it cold.....NO the tent and my bike cover was frozen by 1 in the morning. We could not make any fires as it would not go down well if 2 brothers burn the whole Baviaans Kloof down in the middle of winter due to 1 bottle of OBS. So we stayed cold!!

On Saturday morning we woke up with 2 buffalow staring at us, baboons circling our camp and a balck rhyno standing in the distance. NO, we were not scared, no we were not scared, no we were not scared!!!! Anyway, Bus and Fourie-Kop arrived  as we had a few tents, clothes, food and petrol that the bakkie carried for the WC riders. They filled up with petrol and took some stuff back to the bash.

I Rode up to the platau to get Cell signal and start arranging to get us out of there. Let the wives know of our adventure and to just get some riding in.

The long and the short is, I met up with with some dogs from the Bash and the recovery Disco helped us to get all the gear to Patensie and Saturday night we slept nice and warm in a B&B. We braaied all the meat that was with us, enough for 6 people and finished some more OBS.

On Sunday we made contact with a recovery vehicle in Willowmore and the B&B owner took my boet the long way roud via Langkloof to Willowmore. The bakkie was recovered from the kloof on Sunday night and I in the meantime left Patensie Sunday late morning, after meeting Cap. Slow and other EC dogs at the filling station.

Stayed on tarr all the way from Humansdorp, due to the time, and slept in Wilderness that night.

What a trip and with going up and down the kloof 4 times, I will need to do this again without having to backtrack.

Thanks Watty for arranging a bash that I will have to attend next time. Was good anyway!!

I have lots of pics of the WD's on the ride and in Calitzdorp. This I will post as soon as BUS it edited out of the pics due to ............well the cheeks!! he he he.

See you on future rides :biggrin: