Etrex Cx - at my wits end, help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karel Kat

Race Dog
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
My oldish Garmin Etrex Cx went haywire yesterday and refuses to read the loaded Streetmaps 2010.2 maps. It still reads the T4A maps when loaded onto the same memory card. The  weird thing is that it happened shortly after I took a deliberate detour from a "routed route". While I expected it to try and get me to turn back, it suddenly reverted back to the base map. I usually do not activate the T4A maps when navigating with Streetmaps as these tend to override the much better detailed Streetmaps in an urban environment. However, when activated, T4A still works perfectly well.

I have tried everything. Reformated the card, rebuilt and reloaded the mapsets from the PC and even tried it with just a single block (Stellenbosch) from Streetmaps in memory, rebooted the GPS on external power en without batteries - all to no avail. I went to the Garmin and Mapsource websites looking for a possible notification of firmware/software upgrades, but I'm stumped.

Anybody know what could have caused this and are there any fixes?