Extra fuel on a 2005-2009 type GS 1200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandvreter

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Now this has been a pain in my arse for a long time. Thing is you need it occasionally so the cost has to warrant usage %
I have researched this for some time now, flippen tanks that looks like geysers, shit looking pooratech home made frames and water cans etc etc etc.
Surely there has to be GS riders out there with the same issue?

I have tried alternatives, soft bladders, acerbis type hard tanks, coke bottles blah blah. Bottom line is I need to carry extra fuel and without it being to high on the bike, the lower I can go with centre of gravity the better, I want a long term descent solution. It seems there are only couple of option that are ... doable.

Also, I do NOT ride 2 up, thus the back seat can be taken off for the trips .... I do take top box (trax) and panniers (touratech 35l). The goal is to leave as much of the pannier packing etc as it is right now but to find space for the fuel, bare in mind I can cut and weld allu and have most of those resources, I cannot use CAD though to save my life....so it is templates and mock ups. So so far it seems:

- Use like a fox bladder and carry it low as it can be rolled up afterwards and stored (bonus), decreasing bulk. Can be carried against right side pannier with a custom build bracket and shield between pannier and rear wheel. (touratech panniers on frame system on my bike) and is easy on the pocket. Hmmm.
- Buy a touratech extra fuel tank system  :imaposer:
- Convert the standerd GS tank to the GSA using the nice write up on ADV rider ( how much spare cash do you have....farkels that is a lot of $)
- Buy a damn GSA  ($$$) and just for fuel... urgh, nope
- Build a custom removable tank in the place of the back seat keeping its shape (I ride alone) and calculations show I can get approx 5-6.2 liter doing that without going excessive on height. (8-10cm)
- Rip the whole rear carrier off, build a cargo plate that covers the rear seat and carrier rack area similar to the touratech plate, build a fuel tank in that shape that covers whole length of the bike rear, and make it removable. The top box bracket you build onto the cargo plate (not the fuel tank) same height as now and you screw as little as possible with centre of gravity and get approx 9-10l fuel extra. Big job, and struggling to find a filler cap and aluminium filler neck locally... And there is no weight on the tank itself, you use the bottom cargo plate to support tob box weight with brackets.

Does any one have an already better manufactured solution that does not look like the inside of Robert mugabes skull? I do not mind spending some money on something that looks good/ok and is at least practical and overall does not mean a complete repacking of existing systems? Nor looks like I come from Benoni or secretly dream of riding an 1190 KTM.
This is why I like the idea in my case to ditch the rear seat and carrier rack as it is totally lost space in reality while with a bit of elbow grease (8 bolts) it all comes off and rear seat / carrier rack goes back on, and without going with option 1 does help with preventing excessive height gain to sort centre of gravity?

Any non alcohol induced solutions?