F650 Cuts out in the rain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cachetty

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Last week we had a cloud burst in PMB just before it was time to go home. My bike parks outside at work under shade cloth but this did not stop the rain. Anyway i leave to go home and the bike starts no problem but about 3ks down the road stopped at a robot the bike just dies. Hit the starter button she fires up no hassles.

About another 3ks i see the rev counter is up at the 5 grand mark  and boucing around all the way down to the 2 grand mark and up again but I am not even doing 50.
Pull in at my sons school the bike just dies again. Hit the starter button starts no hassle. Park the bike and switch her off with the key(I never use the kill switch)I then try and start her again but she just swings over with no sign of firing up. I then switch her off and try again once all the lights have gone off I hit the starter button and she starts first time.

But then on the way home from the school she dies again 3 more times but each time she starts the first time round when the starter button is pressed. Each time I also wait for all the lights to go off before trying to start her.

This is fustrating because i had just come back from a trip with my son and the bike was humming along.

What I have noticed though is that the bike does not like to start when it is cooler weather. I did take the battery in yesterday and they said it was ok but not 100% so I have bought a new battery for her which I will install on Thursday evening.
1. My side stand switch is disconnected ( Has been for over a Year now)
2. I am going to check the other plug under the engine that comes from the exhaust to make sure there are no bad connections.
3. Going to check the harness behind the rear shock adjustment seen on the forum that that could be a problem.

Other than that i dont know where else to look.
I have even sprayed my bike with water at night to see if there is any where it is tracking while running and the motor is wet. Nothing.

If any one has any ideas it would be great.