F800GeenSand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardey

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
So their it are. Bought it, paid for it (why? - because I can) and still waiting for the registration from the MislikePaliteit. (Got the Superbike feeling. Look Ma, no number plate) The Dakar, after 153 000 on the clock is now in semi retirement. But then, when driving a BMW some form of backup is required.

First Impressions
· Seat, after an hour in it I started to wonder if BMW is trying to copy KTM, but the then maybe I forgot to pose in the classical BMW style. BMW riders are suppose to stand on the pegs not sitting on the seat.
· Suspension, at one stage I was admiring the scenery, minding my own business while travelling over a stretch of washed away corrugated section of road with the odd pothole, when my mind said â??have a look at the speedoâ?. Had this recollections of the Severn/Hotazel road when I notice the speedo reading is on 120km/h (Wonder, how much can the front shock being compressed?)
· Throttle response. This u must get used to. Trying to travel at a more respectable â??BMWâ? speed, end up feeling like riding a see-saw. It is a bit sudden and quick. Helloo steep rocky roads, now this can be fun.
· Fuel consumption, The first tank gave a nice 21.8km per litre. The Fuel Jockey manage to squeeze in just over 17l into a 16l tank while the on board computer told me I can still drive a nother 26kâ??s before the tank is suppose to be empty.
· Brakes. Some are complaining about it but I had no qualms. It work.
· Toolkit? WTF has BMW thought here? You can not even remove a wheel for puncture repairs. â??Oh but you do have BMW On Callâ? Yeah right.
· Front end feels a bit loose on the dirt, not nice. Could be that the seating is different. You sit more to the back (than on the Dakar)
· The centre stand, a monstrosity. Looks like an after thought. What were the designers at Germaanse land thinking at the time?
· That piece of plastic passing as a bash plate. WTF. Did they ran out of material and man power to design a proper one? A joke.
· Then that vibrating wart posing as a brake fluid reservoir on the handle bar. Say no more
· Must get used to all the gadgets fitted. Especially the indicator switch arrangement. To much distractions.

hh

Attachments

• F800GS.JPG
    F800GS.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 727
  • F800GS F-Shock.JPG
    F800GS F-Shock.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 723

Latest posts