F800GS Chain broke this afternoon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcalibur

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
So I thoroughly enjoy Fridays as I can commute to work with my bike (Wife picks up the kids from school). This afternoon that changed. About 2 kms from the office I change to 3rd, twist the ear and "KLAP!!". Revs go through the roof and I pull the clutch. Try shifting up and down, no power. Pull off to the side of the road and my first thought was "the gear selector fork went". Got off the bike, checked for oil, pulled the dipstick to make sure the oil is clean and everything checked out fine. Walked to the other side of the bike and, low and behold, the chain is lying on the ground.

I bought this bike secondhand 3 weeks ago (on 37,000km) and properly cleaned and lubed the chain that first weekend. Also checked that the tension was within spec and gave it a thorough inspection. I've only done about 1000km since.

Damage:

1. Chain :)
2. Front sprocket cover / guard is a writeoff
3. Rear right indicator lens broken
4. Numberplate holder cracked.

Thank goodness for the chain guards etc etc. This could have ended a lot worse than it did.

This bike has a full service history with Bavarian (was serviced Dec 2015 on 36,400km), but on closer inspection this afternoon I saw that the chain is branded "Regina". Is this a chain BMW would have fit, or did the previous owner get this done elsewhere?

I know there is probably no clear answer to this question, but why do you guys think this chain broke?

PS. The chain wasn't actually on the rear sprocket when I found it broken. I pulled it over the sprocket to try and see how many links were missing.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 711