Farewell to Gauteng! A sunrise story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulip

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
;D Sunrise on Breedsnek pass  ;D
Last chance to ride the Pretoria roads this weekend as Wednesday off to Natal for good, unfortunately not really any chances to ride as had appointments all day every day  :mad: so thought what better way to say goodbye than a beautiful sunrise over North-West province - at least will be back in time for breakfast!

So it's not gauteng, but the sunrises are prettier over there anyway.

Wrapped up like a Michelin man, I was ready to head off at 5am. It was a little chilly. But the bike didn't seem to mind. I did ponder along the road that heated grips may be of benefit in situations like these...

It was actually more than chilly. After 30km my fingers where numb. Strange how there are no bikes parked at the Harties Engen at 5:30am  ???

Got to Breedsnek as the sky was beginning to lighten. Slight red glow on the horizon. Took the opportuniy to enjoy a cup of coffee, but the coffee was cold! But still warmer than me, so it was okay.

Me and my friend coffee!

The early light made for some very nice photo opportunities for the dragon. Starting to organise my Suzuki portfolio... maybe they'll buy it?

It was still fairly dark then, just very long exposure.

First appearance of the sun on the horizon:

And some more as it slowly made its way into the sky.

Once the sun was in the sky the yellow glow demanded some more photos of the dragon. If you can't spend 1/2 hour drinking coffee and admiring your bike in the sunrise, why go out in the cold??

My feet catching a tan  :D

And 2 last shots before heading back down

Headed back in the sunshine, though still feeling very out of touch with my fingertips. Home by 8:30, time for all the other things needing to be done. After a hot bath  :sunny:

Will miss the dry dusty roads... do bikes rust?