Fatal Vehicle Statistics...Per Vehicle Type!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip_ZA

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So as a fairly new rider and seeing thread on this Forum about so many Bikers losing their lives on our roads...
I though i would go and look at the stats and the likelihood that anyone of us could be in a motorcycle accident.

I tried to search for 2012 or even 2013 data, but could only find a Report from Road Traffic Management Corporation dated 2011.
The stats speak for themselves, and is quite a eye opener....

SO out of almost 8.7Million Vehicles there were 13214 Fatal Crashes in 2011.

From those Fatal Crashes 6649 or 50% of them was involving  Motorcars.

Fatal Motorcycles crashes included 309 or 2% of the total.

Something Really Worrying was there were 222 Bicycle Fatalities also almost 2%!! This was actually shocking to say the least! Now i couldn't take this back to percentage of Total Fatal crashes per vehicle type as there is no number out on the amount of bicycles on the roads.
But jeez, you are just as likely to be involved in a Fatal Bicycle accident as you are on a Motorcycle!!  :eek:

Further you are 6% likely to be in a Fatal accident if in a motorcar, 5% when on a motorcycle. This is if you work in the vehicle type vs the total vehicles on the road in Fatal car accidents.

So the old notion that it is more dangerous on a motorcycle than on a car doesn't hold true if you look at the stats..  :sip:

Just thought i would share my findings.  :peepwall:

If someone sees an error in my basic calcs please correct it...  :thumleft:

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 550