Father's Day ride to Grootrivierpoort

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevMcGyver

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
We (Daven & I) left Uitenhage at just after 9am, pointing our bikes' front wheels across the river and up the 'Rooihoogte' hill towards Uncle Freddie's. It was here that we would turn off the main road, and head out on the Elandsrivier road which snakes its dusty way through the hills to Patensie.

I thought I'd achieved something when I modded up a handle-bar mount for my trusty old GPS. But... for a reason unbeknown to me, he decided to stop working - simply switching off! - about 6½ kilos out of the Hage. So Uncle Freddie's was used as a stop to remove the GPS and stow it safely somewhere in my back-pack. Then the ride went on.

Hitting the dirt road we settled into the harshness of the well-used gravel. I eventually pulled over, more to save my modded up GPS mount than anything else, as it was taking too much punishment from the vibration, and I didn't want to be searching for bits somewhere further down the drag. So it too took up residence in the back-pack.

[pic 01]

Then, after a drink from the camel-pack it was time to head out again.
A long road lay ahead before we’d get to the turn-off into the Baviaanskloof area.

[pic 02]

On past the Willem Botha dam without stopping, soaking up the beautiful scenery, watching field mice scurry across the road ahead, chasing the odd bird with our eyes that chose to fly across our line of travel, we rode.
So engrossed was I with some of the scenery as we passed a farmhouse that I almost missed the turn in the road ahead. I swept wide, leaning my weight onto the inside foot-peg, drifting onto the soft drift-sand at the edge of the road. Shook my head at myself and laughed. What an ass I would’ve been to lose it there!
On… passing more cows quietly cropping the lush grass. Here and there more farmhouses. Long dead trees stood sentinel here and there alongside the road – posing for anyone who wanted to photograph them.
Across a misguided stream of water just as we began to climb a hilly section. Some water – Ahh!

Then, with the road beginning to snake along the top of the ridge we came up to the sign-post.. weather weary, but still holding out. Turn right here for Grootrivierpoort!

[pic 05]

Here we took an appreciated rest, both of us delving deep into our chocolate bars and water. The weather had improved dramatically, and my instruments showed an outside temperature of 36° C!
We took some time to look out over the valley towards Hankey & Patensie, and also to admire the road we’d just covered along with the mountain towards which we were headed.

[pics 09; 08; 07]

Right!
This was the easy part… now the fun (and work) would begin!

A couple passed us as we kitted up again – they were travelling in a bakkie, and turned off towards the poort. Mmm… would we catch up to them? Of course we would!
And so, about a kilo down the road we slipped in behind them, and when the driver pulled aside to give us space on the narrow path, we cruised past raising hands in thankful greeting.
There wasn’t really any time for more photos… especially seeing as this required gloves to be removed, camera to be retrieved from its pocket, then its bag, then photos to be taken and everything to be returned. Oh what I could’ve done with a ‘Go-Pro’ camera!
This was hard work, for hands, arms, tyres, shocks, legs… the lot! But it was FUN!
And so we worked our way along the hills, through ruts, over loose rocks and stones, passing the odd thorn tree that was just itching to give us a scratch.
And then we arrived at what for me is probably the Best place to stop along the route.
A vertically steep red rock face behind us, a grey one dropping off ahead as steeply, only far deeper.. all the way down to the river below.. trickling along quietly in the depths of the gorge.
Daven made a comment – where along the trip I don’t remember, but it rings true for both of us… “I could do this all day for a living!”

Parked precariously close to the edge so’s we could get a good, safe parking spot for the bikes, we sat down.. and just kept quiet.
Listened to the quiet.. to the river trickle by.. to the bee busy in the bush about 20m away.. to the sounds of birds going about their day’s tasks.. to the more raucous sound of another motorcycle somewhere down there in the gorge. Not a 2-stroker.. but still quite indistinguishable as to what exactly it was.
Then it died away, and we soaked up the quiet again.

[pic 11]

Eventually we moved on again, almost sad to leave the place.

We worked our way down to the river.. had a brief look at it and crossed over. The water was much lower and slower than I’d anticipated.
We took a run up the other side of the gorge, with the going being far easier than I’d thought it’d work out to be.
Stopping at the top we took time to look back the way we’d come. Then it was time to head back again – because at this point we were both still running on our original fill of fuel, and neither was sure as to how far we’d still be able to run before needing to fill up again. And in any case… our plan had been to only run down to the river, then run back up again and head over to Patensie for fuel.

[pic 13]

This time, crossing the river was taken in our stride, taking time to get some footage of our crossing – just for proof that we’d been there!

[pic Nev; Dav]

And this done, there were 2 things still to do. One was to have a chat to the folks in the bakkie – which had just then arrived at the river. The second was to keep an eye open for my number-plate – which Daven had noticed was missing when we first stopped at the river. It had broken off somewhere up the road. That was another reason for us going back the way we’d come – those things cost! And anyway… let’s call it a “trophy” too – hehe.

The way down was hard work. The way back up… was 10x worse! Three stops on the way to the top.. just to rest hands and arms! Wow! Total renewed respect for toughness and fitness of those guys who do this regularly!

Patensie was reached.. a fuel station (that was open for business) sought out.. the bikes tanked up – 7 litres for me, 6 litres for Daven! Nice going! That for 142 km.
A coke each later, and we were ready to head out again.

[pic 17]

Back along the road we’d come – all dirt back home – instead of tar.
But heading back up the mountain I began to lag behind. My rear tyre had seen enough for one day – more likely, enough for his life-time. I now had so little grip that standing in the pegs and powering up would cause the tail to start swaying – regular loss of grip. Makes for interesting riding though!

We pulled off at the Willem Botha dam on the way back – to rest and to look around.

[pic 20; 23; 22]

We hit the road, and stopped only when traffic regulations required it.
As we closed on Uitenhage, running along the tar behind some traffic, we made a quick turn onto a gravel road running parallel to the tar. We cranked it up a bit, enjoyed the dirt, and re-joined the tar road right behind the same bakkie we’d been following earlier. What better way to ride! Have fun. Hit the dirt, then enter back into life’s highway at the same place you hopped off.

We arrived home just on 4pm – nicely timed!

What a day!
Thanks to the Lord of creation who made this possible, and gave us so much to soak in.

Attachments

• FathersDayRide-01.jpg
    FathersDayRide-01.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 207
  • FathersDayRide-02.jpg
    FathersDayRide-02.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 198
  • FathersDayRide-05.jpg
    FathersDayRide-05.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 202
  • FathersDayRide-09.jpg
    FathersDayRide-09.jpg