Fined R1500 in Hermanus for riding on the shoulder. not AARTO, Should I pay it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster69

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I was issued a traffic fine on 31/03/2023 in the Overstrand area, R43, Hermanus. Loadshedding caused the traffic lights to not function, traffic was backed up as far as the eye could see, I was stuck in this traffic and my 990 started to overheat, (33deg outside, cars around me felt like it was cooking me like a spit roast), no space to filter, 990 went to 6 bars (the last bar before you have k@k). I had to get onto the shoulder of the road to her cool down. I went onto the shoulder and continued very slowly. Within a few seconds of doing this I was pulled over by a traffic official and issued a R1500 fine. I had to sign there and then. I tried to explain to him that my motorcycle was overheating, this was to no avail. I want to contest this fine or at the very least get a discount. Any way to go about it? I won't be going back to contest it in court as I live elsewhere, also, it isn't an AARTO fine and doesn't show up on the AARTO website, AARTO prescribes R1000 for this infringement by the way..